I don't know when, but someday last year, I thought the advertising space on London's double-decker buses looked like ribbons of some sort. I suddenly got a flash of association to the Swedish Dala horses, a folk art traditions from the 16th and 17th century. Both are red icons in their own rights, so I thought that a combination of both would convey the experience of living abroad. And since they both extremely popular with tourists, I decided to make postcards out of them.
I started of with a humble sketch that I later reproduced digitally and added colour to. I tried to see what kinds of designs would work and what wouldn't. Those I particularly liked were marked with small hearts and pointing hands. You might not see it yet, but it was thanks to my semitransparent markers that I should work with overlapping fields of colour.
I disliked the hand drawn quality of the bus and decided to do a vectorized version. My initial plan was to do a vector based pattern as well, but that was easier said than done. The first test was awful and I decided to make it by hand. Besides, it would add to a nice contrast.
For this version, I combined different sketches and tests that I done in ink and then scanned in. It's a rough proof of concept, but I prefer the result so much better.
These are the first versions I did where I experimented with how much details I should add to the image. The idea with the green colouring is that It would be slightly transparent, resulting in brown shadows. My friends pointed out that the red and green was more Christmas then Dala horse, which I agree to. I think the green in the first sketches were the result of a tiny set of markers and I just kept going wit it.
I return to the image after valuable feedback and kept improving the design. I did a lot of fine touches here and there, as well as experimented with different shades of blue. After a week or two of fiddling, I was finally prepared for the test: Screen-printing a large set of detailed artwork that requires different additives. But more about that in a future update!